All northern Final for FAW Trophy as Conwy and Rhos Aelwyd progress
10 March 2018

All northern Final for FAW Trophy as Conwy and Rhos Aelwyd progress

This season’s FAW Trophy Final will be an all north Wales affair after Conwy Borough and Rhos Aelwyd won this afternoon’s Semi-Finals.

Penydarren BGC 0-3 Conwy Borough

Conwy Borough secured their Final spot with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Penydarren BGC.  

Corey Williams opened the scoring for Borough after Penydarren goalkeeper Jonathan Green came sprinting out of his box to intercept a pass. He inadvertently cleared straight to Conwy full back Brendan Hogan who swept a ball across the area for Williams to fire home.

Corrig Mcgonigle doubled Conwy's lead after cutting in from the right onto his favourited left foot and rifled a shot across Green and into the top left corner.

Penydarren threatened to get back into the game through efforts from Christopher Colvin and Scott Pike but Conwy were always in control and eventually put the tie to bed when substitute Dean Seager side footed home from a pin point cross from left back Guto Hughes with five minutes to go.

Greenfield 2-3 Rhos Aelwyd

In the second Semi-Final, Rhos Aelwyd defeated Greenfield in a tense and competitive affair, as Scott Reeves scored from distance in the final minute to claim an excellent victory for the 2008 Champions.

Rhos took the lead when defender Tom Davies won a header, in a crowded box, to give the Wrexham-based side the lead on eight minutes.

Just as the Fourth Official indicated an additional minute of injury time before the break, Greenfield drew level as Darren Johns struck a direct free-kick with precision to beat Steffan Parry in the Rhos goal.

In the 75th minute, a deep James Haynes corner found the commanding Davies free at the far post, and the defender claimed his second of the afternoon with an unopposed header that beat Greenfield goalkeeper and captain Danny Stanton.

Greenfield responded positively and following a mix-up in the Rhos box, a clearance struck the unfortunate sub Denis Piliner and ricocheted into the back of the net for the equaliser.

There was more late drama as Greenfield’s Johns was shown a red card in the 85th minute for serious foul play, before Reeves’ long and speculative free-kick was spilt by Stanton and ended up in the back of the net in the 88th minute.

Featured image courtesy of Alun Roberts